" The Majestic Hour "
Mayors & Peoples Choice Award Southern Exposure 2014
I was born in Warrnambool, Victoria, in 1961 into a creative family. My father was a professional musician, my mother is an artist as is my brother. I loved art from an early age and was always encouraged by my older brother Robert, who is an amazing surrealist painter in Western Australia.
We would draw, paint and make animated movies together. I then progressed on to acrylic painting through high school where I received top marks for art. This also drove me to keep it up, so I progressed on to oil paint on stretched canvas which was so exciting.
I studied Painting and Drawing at Claremont School of Art as a Diploma, in Western Australia, as well as an extensive TAFE art education.
I love the subtle tones and colours in both water and sky so have a great love for landscape. Particularly early morning and late afternoon when the shadows are longer and there is more colour in the sky. I enjoy creating atmosphere and depth in my work as I want to hold the viewer's gaze and get them to look all around the painting, discovering things they might not have seen initially.
We moved from WA to Tasmania where I turned professional and have operated my own Art Gallery ’Stanley’s Studio/Gallery’ in Cygnet, located in the Huon Valley of Tasmania, for the past 20 years. I have exhibited in many exhibitions and art awards (see below) with success in winning nine Peoples Choice and three Mayors Choice Awards over the years.
I work in oils, acrylics, pastels, watercolours and glass. I produce a series of Fine Art Prints, Art Cards, and I also work with Stained Glass and ‘Dichroic Glass Jewellery’ (Pendants, Earrings, and Brooches)
- I was the Chairman of the Huon Art Exhibition Group (HAEG) in Cygnet for 5 years.
- Was an exhibiting member of the Australian Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
- I have been an Art Prize Judge for the 2014 Royal Hobart Show, Art Awards.
- The Art Society of Tasmania, First Prize, Waterways Exhibition, Long Gallery, Hobart, Peoples Choice Award, 2017
- Bendigo Bank Acquisitive Award, Watermark Art Awards, 2015
- People's Choice Award, Southern Exposure, 2014
- Mayors Choice Award, Southern Exposure, 2014
- Mayors Choice Award, on the edge, – Dover – 2012
- People's Choice Award, Royal Hobart Show, Artery Art on Show -Hobart – 2011
- People's Choice Award, Watermark Art Awards -Cygnet – 2011
- People's Choice Award, Australian Society of Marine Artists (ASMA) Tasmania – 2010
- Runner Up Peoples Choice Award, Watermark Art Awards – Cygnet – 2009
- People's Choice Award, Salamanca Collection/Islington Hotel – Hobart – 2008
- People's Choice Award, Lovett Gallery – Cygnet – 2008
- Mayors Choice Watermark Art Awards – Cygnet – 2007
- People's Choice Award, Watermark Art Awards – Cygnet – 2007
- People's Choice Award, Watermark Art Awards – Cygnet – 2005
- Best Pastel Award Plein Air Art Awards – Woodbridge – 2005
- (Joint Winner) En Plein Air Art Award – Cygnet – 2004
I have exhibited in over 20 locations, with my work being synonymous with the Tasmanian landscape. Find out below where I have exhibited and continue to exhibit:
- Lady Franklin Gallery, Hobart. - 2017
- Huon Art, Huonville, Tasmania. - 2017
- Gallery Salamanca - 2013 - 2017
- Aspect Design - 2013 - 2017
- Waterways Exhibition, The Art Society of Tasmania, Long Gallery, Salamanca, Hobart - 2017
- Wrest Point Casino Art Prize Hobart, Boardwalk Gallery - 2016 & 2017
- Huon Art Awards, Cygnet - 2017
- Watermark Art Awards, Cygnet, Tasmania - 2015
- Stanley’s Studio/Gallery Cygnet (ongoing exhibits)
- ‘ on the edge ‘ Art Exhibition, Dover - 2012
- Australian Society of Marine Artists (ASMA) Exhibition – Lovett Gallery – Cygnet- 2011
- Royal Hobart Show, Artery Art on Show -Hobart – 2011 – 2012 - 2013 - 2014
- Tas Art Exhibition Burnie Regional Gallery – 2011 – 2012
- Watermark Art Awards – Cygnet – 2007 – 2009 -2011-2013 - 2015
- Scottsdale Art & Framing- 2010-11
- Australian Society of Marine Artists (ASMA) Exhibition – Lovett Gallery – Cygnet- 2010
- Salamanca Collections – Hobart – 2008
- Lovett Gallery – Cygnet – 2008 – 09 – 10 – 11 – 12
- Living Artists Week – Marion's Studio/Gallery – 2007
- Solo Exhibition at The Sidespace Gallery Salamanca Hobart April 06
- En Plein Air Art Competition Cygnet 2006
- The Old Lodge Gallery – Gladstone, NSW – 2005
- Long Gallery Members Show – Salamanca Arts Centre – 2005
- Peppermint Bay Resort, Woodbridge – 2005
- Regnans Gallery – Peppermint Bay, Woodbridge – 2005
- Watermark, Marine Art Prize – Cygnet – 2005
- En Plein Air Art Competition – Woodbridge – 2005
- Marine Art competition – Cygnet Town Hall – 2004
- En Plein Air Art Competition – Cygnet – 2004
- Southern Exposure Exhibition – Cygnet Town Hall – 2003/04/05/06/07/10/12/14
- Marine Art Awards – Cygnet Town Hall – 2003
- Crohill Gallery – Bicheno – 2003
- Footprints – Launceston – 2003
- Tasmania Shop & Gallery – Salamanca, Hobart – 2003
- Royal Hobart Show Exhibition – 2002
- 10 days on the Island Exhibition – Stanley, Tasmania – 2001
- Dover Art Gallery – Dover – 2001
- Wrest Point Casino Exhibition – Hobart – 2001, 2002 $ 2004
- En Plein Air Art Competition – Woodbridge – 2001